More stories below from this week (click on bolded words for more information):
- Zeng Fanzhi talks about his upcoming shows at three Hauser & Wirth locations in Zurich, London & Hong Kong.
- Inside the $200 million expansion of America’s new must-see museum.
- Hirshhorn Museum acquires Ai Weiwei installation, and Getty acquires Betye Saar archive.
- The Bronx Museum plans to open a new venue in Lower Manhattan.
- A Denver art project envisions alleys as social spaces.
- David Hockney debuts iPad-designed stained-glass window at Westminster Abbey.
- Max Hollein on how the Met will redefine the entire way we think about contemporary art.
- The market for female surrealists has finally reached a tipping point.
- The utopian visions of Geta Brătescu.
- David Kordansky announces representation of artist Fred Eversley.
- Agnes Martin and Navajo craftswomen made spiritual works inspired by the desert.
- The tragic life story of Jean-Michel Basquiat is going to become a major Broadway musical.
- The hoax art movement that fooled the art world establishment.
- Meet the onetime Disney illustrator Tracie Ching’s whose ‘KAVANOPE’ poster has gone totally viral.
- Artist Robin Bell projects a message of protest against Brett Kavanaugh onto his DC courthouse.
- How the #MeToo movement is transforming the performing arts.
- Jim Carrey’s political cartoons are getting a show at Maccarone Gallery, timed to the midterm elections.
- Watch how photographer Zanele Muholi uses her camera to tell the stories of trans women.
- The Soviet art school that cemented suprematism’s spot in history.
- Five works that caught our eye at the Art Berlin fair.
- At Expo Chicago, a ‘slow burn’ of interest from collectors.
- The oversaturated gallery landscape of Berlin loses two more galleries.
- With space-sharing programs, galleries band together to battle an uncertain market.
- Max Hetzler Gallery defies Brexit uncertainties and opens London gallery.
- Monet vs. Richter: Two $30 million paintings will duel at Christie’s and Sotheby’s this Fall.
How to market yourself as an artist.
“Jobs? Never!!” A new film displays Jim Greco’s passion for skateboarding.
Damien Hirst to close Ilfracombe restaurant the Quay.
Has artificial intelligence given us the next great art movement?
The importance of being Delacroix, the last great artist who was not a modernist.
- How El Greco’s expressive paintings inspired artists from Velázquez to Van Gogh.
- Closed for nearly 30 years, the Chapel of the Holy Shroud reopens in Italy following a massive restoration.
- Charlotte Burns interviews artist Howardena Pindell.
- Decoding the densely packed feminist imagery of Suellen Rocca’s paintings.
- The worlds of Italian artist Stephen Spender.
- Pulling back the curtain on Alex Prager’s mysterious, cinematic imagery.
- Here’s a Fall 2018 list of fellowships, residencies, and prizes accepting applications.
- The man who attacked Marina Abramović claims he did it for his art.
- The brain-stimulating devices that people are using to jumpstart creativity.
- Dealer Ezra Chowaiki sentenced to 18 months in prison for fleecing high-profile art collectors of millions.
- Masks that conceal and reveal: Maxwell Deter interviewed by Naomi Falk.
- Cover albums reveal something about the evolution of shared taste and cultural memory.
- Five natural dyes you can create from the contents of your kitchen.