More stories below from this week (click on bolded words for more information):
- The 10 artists that broke into the art market big leagues in 2018.
- What the 7 biggest art lawsuits of 2018 mean for the art market.
- 16 globetrotting art aficionados tell us about the most memorable shows they saw in 2018.
- A year in visual culture and the people who defined it.
- 8 art advisors tell us which artists you should be watching (and buying) in 2019.
- The most influential artists of 2018.
- PODCAST: 2018’s biggest art stories, the year in review.
- The most powerful moments in photojournalism in 2018.
- Frieze names curators of themed sections at 2019 New York Fair.
- Untitled Art, San Francisco names Juana Berrío as guest curator of special projects.
- Sotheby’s 2018 auctions reach $5.3 billion.
An ethereal painting of the Doge’s Palace by Claude Monet could sell for $35 million at Sotheby’s.
Why investors are looking to back artist-run businesses.
What happened to all the art in Mexico’s presidential palace?
Why Leonardo DiCaprio and his father produced a new Netflix film about an obscure Polish artist.
Oprah and Agnes Gund host benefit auction for Miss Porter’s School to feature works by female artists.
Watch photographer Catherine Opie revisit her midwestern roots.
Museum of Fine Arts Boston brings Ansel Adams into the present day.
- Bruce Gilden on the art of street photography and his pursuit of good portraits.
- Jesse Rieser captures American Christmas in all of its kitschy splendor.
Why Jesus and Mary always wear red and blue in art history.
Superstar Smithsonian leader David Skorton resigns after less than four years.
With an overdue museum survey under her belt, Judy Chicago plans her legacy.
- A survey at exhibition at LUMA Arles captures the history of mechanically-reproduced imagery.
- Royal Academy widens outreach with exhibition by homeless people.
- Robert Cenedella sues museums for $100 million for declining to show his work, but a judge isn’t buying it.
- Ebony G Patterson’s ornate night garden of toxic silk flowers and neo-baroque tapestries.
- Anna Maria Maiolino on “Poetic Wanderings”, her latest show at Hauser & Wirth New York.
- At Studio Voltaire, London, artists have transformed the former chapel into a wild Wilde Gesamtkunstwerk.
- Hundreds of artists scale down their work for Giant Robot’s 14th Annual Post-It Show.
- Cai Guo-Qiang’s explosive art, preserved for the ages.
- Katy Diamond Hamer interviews Lyle Ashton Harris.
- Asier Mendizabal’s political movements at Galerie Martin Janda in Vienna.
- Oil paintings by Clive Head layer gestures to express the passage of time.
- These painters abandoned brushes for sledgehammers, chainsaws, and blowtorches.
- Pablo Picasso on achieving success without sacrificing your vision.
Everyone’s a curator. That’s not (always) a bad thing.
- Tips from 8 leading artists on how to build confidence.
Psychedelics may offer artists a creative boost.