More stories below from this week (click on bolded words for more information):
- The unforgettable works of 15 artists who died in 2018.
- The Biennials coming up and not to miss in 2019.
- The 15 biggest art historical discoveries of 2018.
- Here are 16 other amazing discoveries of 2018.
- The museum openings you won’t want to miss in 2019.
The 20 most expensive artworks sold at auction in 2018.
- Will the art market comes to its senses in 2019?
- An artist’s guide to the best in Berlin, Basel and beyond in 2018.
- Here are 6 big ideas that gripped the art world in 2018.
- What youth culture looked like in 2018.
- The creation and interpretation of art remains an anchor and a refuge in 2018.
- The 12 biggest controversies what rocked the art world in 2018.
- Here are the 10 most memorable news photographs of 2018.
- 7 gripping art documentaries and movies to stream over the holidays.
- Bridges, skyscrapers and conservation battles—the year ahead in architecture.
- Jerry Saltz comes alive for this special live recording from Washington, D.C.
- Government shutdown may force Smithsonian Museums to close starting Jan 2.
- Tributes for the art historian Sister Wendy Beckett who has died, aged 88.
A brief history of art dealing.
- “Sophisticated” art collectors are facing less sympathetic courts.
- Black cinema pioneer Arthur Jafa’s new film dissects the problems of “whiteness”.
- Watch artist Eddie Martinez wrestle his way to a new painting.
The pre-Raphaelites’ muse, leading light, and sacrificial lamb.
- Louise Bourgeois’s Spider crawls across Brazil.
- Fashion designer Simone Rocha reflects on the work of Louise Bourgeois.
- 200 years before Kusama’s Infinity Room, Jacques-Louis David invented the immersive installation.
- A look back at some of the most catastrophic selfie fails in recent memory.
- Artist Simon Beck travels the globe to create massive artworks in the snow.
- Anne Brigman, a pioneering photographer of nude self-portraits.
- Overlooked sculptor Elisabeth Frink’s legacy reexamined in extensive UK survey.
- Experience Picasso ‘intuitively’ at Musée d’Orsay’s Blue and Rose blockbuster.
- New York’s American Medium Gallery closes.
- Edward Burtynsky depicts our alien domain.