More stories below from this week (click on bolded words for more information):
- Museum workers scramble for cash amid the longest US government shutdown in history.
The buzziest and most beautiful museums opening in 2019.
MOCA Los Angeles will close its Pacific Design Center location after nearly 20 years.
- Will the inaugural 2019 Los Angeles edition of Frieze get its big Hollywood break?
- Felix L.A. Art Fair reveals exhibitors, site-specific projects for Hollywood Roosevelt hotel debut.
- Art Los Angeles Contemporary announces 2019 exhibitors list.
- At UNTITLED San Francisco, dealers chase tech money while collectors remain circumspect.
- A few collectors and other visitors to gather their thoughts on FOG Design+Art San Francisco.
- At a frenetic Outsider Art Fair opening, memory jugs, new discoveries, and a family affair.
6 inspiring outsider artists you should know.
- This month’s must-see art guide to San Francisco.
- 2019 highlights from the UK art world and beyond.
- Optical art icon Bridget Riley unveils huge new work at the National Gallery.
What you should expect from an art advisor.
A mistakenly made penny sold at auction for over $200,000 USD.
After Gerhard Richter disavowed a new movie based on his life, the director fires back.
Artists, arts professionals call on New Museum to allow unionization.
Skarstedt gallery to open new space on New York’s Upper East Side.
Gallery-share initiative Condo launches a VIP app to connect galleries and collectors.
Jeff Koons lays off dozens in a move toward a decentralized, automated studio practice.
Jackson Pollock is perhaps the most-forged postwar artist, and this man wants to identify the fakes.
- How the world’s biggest financial scandal ensnared the art world.
- How a legendary Alexander Calder installation got ensnared in Sears’s tortuous bankruptcy saga.
- A scammer pretending to be Wendi Deng Murdoch duped 2 photographers out of thousands of dollars.
- The famed Jewish art dealer who fought to retrieve 400 stolen works from the Nazis.
The dark side of surrealism that exploited women’s “hysteria”
- What happens to the Surrealist mindset in the age of Artificial Intelligence.
- Adidas Originals to launch solo exhibition featuring new Keiichi Tanaami artworks.
Jerry Saltz on Dana Schutz’s taking back of her painterly name.
- Lucy Liu’s longtime but little-known art practice is deeply moving.
- Ulrike Müller’s recent exhibition at Kunstverein Düsseldorf explores the categories of visual identification.
- Walter De Maria’s masterpiece involved filling an apartment with 140 tons of dirt.
- Pablo Tomek leaves the social interpretation of his work up to the viewer.
- Joshua Vides installs black & white wedding chapel in Las Vegas.
- Banksy artwork found on garage in Wales sold for six-figure sum.
- Leading voices in the UK art world demand ‘people’s vote’ on Brexit.
- Why has China arrested award-winning photographer Lu Guang, and hundreds of other artists in Xinjiang?
- Scientists discover the secret to Rembrandt’s paint recipe.
How 19th-century artists envisioned the apocalypse.
- Why Mapplethorpe’s photographs remain subversive, even without the shock value.
- Why contemporary women artists are obsessed with the grotesque.
- PODCAST: Sisters are painting it for themselves—meet the female Old Masters finding prominence at last.
- PODCAST: Artist Laurie Simmons “I don’t want to be a second generation anything.”
- Why Jenny Holzer’s “Inflammatory Essays” is the perfect work for our times.
The Museum of the Dog is a love letter to man’s best friend.
Veteran curator Marc-Olivier Wahler hopes his new Paris art center will draw in people by accident.
- How the Instagram egg broke the internet and became a study in exhaustion.
- Kanye West gifts $10 million to James Turrell’s ‘life-changing’ volcano crater art installation.
- Arts education in English primary schools is declining both in quality and quantity, new research suggests.
- US Vice President’s wife Karen Pence ‘excited’ to teach art at school that bans gay students.
- Max Bill and Georges Vantongerloo, a lasting friendship.