More stories below from this week (click on bolded words for more information):
- 2018 Miami art fair week cheat sheet.
How to buy at Art Basel in Miami Beach on a budget.
Is Jim Carrey an outsider artist? With his debut at the Outsider Art Fair he may redefine the term.
We asked 5 young art collectors how they landed their most elusive trophies.
- Here’s Cultured’s list of 30 artists under 35 to watch in 2019.
- 27 artists on the worst (and best) advice anyone ever gave them on being an artist.
- The risks of using auction prices as artworks’ fair market value.
- From the priciest painting to the richest wine bottle, see the most expensive objects ever sold at auction.
- Is the contemporary art market due for a contraction? A look beyond the mega-sales looks grim.
- Laura Owens LA Times feature, “Between the Shadows”.
- Ursula: Issue 1 quarterly art magazine from Hauser & Wirth now available.
- In the new film ‘Never Look Away‘ Glibly examines the intersection of art and autobiography.
- Thieves steal a Renoir landscape right off the walls of the Dorotheum Auction House.
- A Belgian court has seized 58 Banksy artworks worth over $15 million from an ‘Illegal’ exhibition.
- How much should taxpayers pay for a private museum? A French watchdog group files a claim to find out.
- Robert Morris, sculptor and pioneering minimalist, dies aged 87.
- 7 pivotal works by legendary architect I.M. Pei.
- Helen Frankenthaler Foundation launches two art education initiatives.
- Baltimore Museum of Art launches diversity-minded commission series and curatorial fellowship.
Vivian Maier’s rare color works show the mysterious photographer in a new light.
- In Richard Learoyd’s moody photography, the camera obscura returns.
- On a Roll: “Ode to a Scorching City” by Gabriella Achadinha.
- Fighting ‘institutional intolerance,’ Canada is introducing a biennial for indigenous artists in 2020.
- These 5,000-year-old sculptures look shockingly similar to modern art.
- In 1914, a feminist attacked a Velázquez nude with a meat cleaver.
- Tequila libations for Gordon Matta-Clark’s garbage wall at David Zwirner.
- Could artificial intelligence help recreate lost masterpieces? MIT researchers may have the answer.
- As Hong Kong sleepwalks towards authoritarianism, artists fight for its political awakening.
- An exclusive look inside the SHOP Taka Ishii Gallery in Hong Kong.
- PODCAST: Collecting and patronage with FLAG founder Glenn Fuhrman.
- Rebecca Smith on her father David Smith’s ‘Zig I’ sculpture.
- Inspiring sculptor Amanda Crowe made a lasting impact on Cherokee art.
- South London painter Kelly Anna brings the club alive for her work for Bombay Sapphire.
- Pace Gallery’s eight-floor Chelsea building set to open September 2019.
- James Cohan Gallery’s flagship Chelsea space will move to Tribeca in September 2019.
- A jury sides with top art collector Andy Hall in a dramatic lawsuit over fake Leon Golub paintings.
- Artist Ruth Miller elevates embroidery in stunning tapestries.
- Rabiya Choudhry’s paintings reveal what’s on the inside.
- Victor Man’s new exhibition at Gladstone Gallery revisits the art historical canon.
- Symbolism’s morbid, erotic paintings profoundly influenced modern art.
- These artists jump-started their careers by selling directly to collectors on Instagram.
- At his home in Italy, Matthew Spender shares personal recollections from his family’s archives.
How 10,000 creative people find their best ideas.
- Eugène Delacroix (1798-1863) finally earns his stripes at the Met.
- Looking at art could help med students become better doctors.
- 15 gifts for people who love art.